Corchorus is one of the most famous recipes in the Egyptian kitchen that is suitable in all occasions. Corchorus is a natural green plant that is known since the ages of ancient Egyptians, and it was named “Molokia”, but when Al-Moez Ledin Allah Al-Fatemi was sick with a disease in his gut the doctors treated him with the corchorus, so it was called “Molokia”. After that, it was known among the people with the name corchorus, and it is one of the special recipes with its special taste, because it is so tasty that no one can overcome. The following is the recipe of Egyptian corchorus or Molokhia:
½ kg minced chorcorus
1 onion, minced
5 cloves garlic
1 cup tomato sauce
2 spoons coriander, minced
3 cups broth
2 spoons ghee
Salt and pepper
Heat the onion in ghee, then add garlic, and coriander. Cook well.
Put the corchorus in broth, and stir well until it melts completely.
Put the tomato over the garlic, and onion then leave to mix.
Put the corchorus over the cooked tomato, and leave to boil only once.
Preparation time: 1 hour
Cooking time: 1:30 hours
1 chicken, or 1 Kg. Beef, or Lamb meat
600 kg corchorus leafs
1 onion, peeled
3 seeds cardamom
Garlic sauce ingredients
10 garlic cloves, mashed
2 tbsp. coriander, minced
¼ tsp. hot pepper, minced. You can add more
2 tbsp. vegetable oil
White rice to serve
- Clean the chicken, and massage with salt and spices then put in a large pot, and cover with 2 liters and half of water. Add onions and cardamom, and bring to a boil. Make sure to remove the bubbles over the surface of the water.
- When the water boils, reduce the heat, and put salt and spices. Leave it covered over heat until the chicken is cooked (about 60 minutes).
- Take the chicken, and onion off broth. Throw the onion away, and leave the chicken to cool before cutting. Put the chicken pieces aside in a serving plate, and cover with broth to keep warm.
- After you finish boiling the chicken, 2 liters of broth should be left in the pot. If this amount is not enough then you can add some water, but if it exceeds 2 liters, then you should boil it for some time.
- When you get the right amount of broth, add the frozen corchorus, and leave for 10 minutes to melt the ice. Stir gently before turning the heat off, and make sure to cover the pot.
- To prepare the garlic sauce, mix the vegetable oil in a pan with garlic, coriander, hot pepper over medium heat until its color changes.
- Add the sauce to the broth for two minutes over heat before your turn it off. Adding salt, and chili pepper is optional.
- Serve hot corchorus over a plate of rice with a chicken piece.
Note: You can replace the chicken with meat