Arabic Food Recipes for Ramadan
Um Ali, or Om Ali, or Umm Ali is made of layers of dough, milk, and some nuts. It is considered one of the light and healthy desserts whether it was for kids or adults.
The Story Behind Om Ali Dish:
The story backs to the wife of Izz al-Din Aybak, the first king of Mamaliz after Aioubin and he is the husband of Shagaret El-Dorr who married him, because the sultans of sham refused the idea of a governer woman. After Izz al-Din Aybak got married to Om Ali, Shagaret El-Dorr got angry and got revenge on him.
Om Ali sat a trap for her and killed her, then her son Ali bn Izz al-Din was crowned as a sultan. By this occasion, his mother asked mixing all the flour, sugar, and nuts together. Nowadays, it is served to guests, or friends and in wild occasions like weddings.
Om Ali Puff Pastry Recipe
Preparation time: 30 minutes
Cooking time: 30 minutes
400 g. Pastry dough. I.e. 10 pieces
2 tbsp. sweetened condensed milk
4 cups hot milk
2 dream whip cream packs
2 packs of cream
¾ cup liquid milk, cold
¼ cup coconut
¼ cup almonds
¼ cup pistachio
2 tbsp. nut
- Divide the puff pastry into four squares.
- Place in a preheated oven at 190 to be cooked well, and then add into Pyrex.
- Spread the sweetened condensed milk in the form of strips over the puff pastry. Pour the hot milk over it until it get sink.
- Whisk the whipping cream, cream and vanilla with cold milk.
- Spread the mixture over the surface, and sprinkle the coconut, and nuts for garnishing. Put in the oven for 10 minutes until the surface becomes golden.
The following ingredient wasn’t counted in the nutritional facts: Vanilla.
Each serving contains:
Fats (g.): 30
Saturated fats (g.): 9
Cholesterol (mg.): 16
Carbohydrates (g.): 35
Proteins (g.): 9