It is a famous dish in Egypt , It takes some times and very tasty , Most Egyptians bring this dish to the newlyweds on their honeymoon.
Serving: 4 persons
Preparation time: 15 min.
Cooking time: 50 min.
– When buying pigeon always take Young pigeon because it takes short time in cooking, and have good taste where the older pigeon take longer time in cooking.
– Clean pigeon with salt, vinegar, and flour wash with enough water so that smell finished.
– When you start boiling the pigeon be careful of time, and not cover the pan so that the skin should not be damage.
– The stuffed pigeon can cook in two different ways one is freekeh, and other is with rice depend upon your taste.
1 whole medium onion
2 bay leaves
1 tablespoon ginger paste
1 tablespoon garlic paste
200 gm. Butter
Gizzards and livers of pigeon or chicken cut into pieces
4 tablespoon lemon juice salt, pepper (red chili if u like) upon your taste .
250 gm. Freekeh or rice
3 tablespoon butter or oil
1 big onion chopped Salt, pepper (red chili if u like) upon your taste.
– Dip freekeh for 2 hours, strain it and then put it in the pan ,and boil at medium heat till the freekeh become ready.
– Take butter or oil in a pan put chopped onion in it cook till the onion become light brown. Add pieces of Gizzards and livers. For taste add some salt, pepper in it. When the gravy is ready mix with freekeh, your
– Gizzards and livers. For taste add some salt, pepper in it. When the gravy is ready mix with freekeh, your stuffing is ready.
– Now take pigeon, and pick smoothly with a fork so that all the taste will enter inside the meat.
– Dip pigeons in lemon juice for 10 min. then put them out in a bowl.
– Take a pan fill with water approximately 1 liter put on high flame for boiling. Add salt, pepper (red chili on your taste) bay leaves, cardamoms, ginger, and garlic paste in the water.
– When boiling start put pigeon in it , cook at medium flame. When water evaporates, off the flame cool it and start stuffing.
– Place a long piece of onion in the neck of the pigeon. Put freekeh stuffing in empty stomach of pigeon and be careful, not to fill too much stuffing.
– Tie the legs of pigeon with thread in such away that the stuffing should not come out. Ready all the pigeons through this method.
– Now put butter in a deep pan, and place all the stuff pigeon in it. Change the sides so that all become brown and crispy.
– If you are weight conscious then bake it in oven for 15 to 20 min. Brush the roasted pigeon with butter well.
– Dish out your stuffed pigeon freekeh, and decorate the dish with some sauce, salads and French fries.