Basbousa or Namoura is a delicious Arabian dessert, which is prepared in most festivals and occasions. There are several recipes for basbousa like basbousa with cream or basbousa with yogurt…etc. It is usually made of semolina, sugar, milk, oil, baking powder, rose water, flour and syrup.
It might consist of cocoa powder to make basbousa with chocolate.
For all who seek to know the recipe of basbousa at home without the need to buy premade basbousa. This is the fastest and easiest way to make basbousa that is considered one of the most famous middle eastern recipes and not only in Egypt, but in several Arabian countries. It is not limited only at weddings and birthday parties or occasions, but it can also be made at home for both children and adults. Although there are several desserts shops who sells basbousa, you will find the mothers worrying about buying food products away from home. We should mention also that it is expensive in some shops, so we are presenting the recipe of basbousa hopefully you will like it.
1 ½ cup semolina
1 ½ cup water
1 ¾ cup sugar
1 cup milk
½ cup vegetable oil
½ cup sugar
3 tbsp. grated and dried coconut
2 tbsp. rose water
1 tbsp. baking powder
6 almonds, cut into two pieces
1 L. water
1 large cup sugar
- Bring a medium-sized pot and put in the semolina, milk, oil, baking powder, coconut and ½ cup sugar. Place the mixture in a pot for 30 minutes.
- Bring a small pot with water over medium heat with the amount of 1 ¾ cups of sugar in addition to rose water. Stir the ingredients for about 3 to 4 minutes until the mixture boils then take it off the heat and set aside.
- Preheat the oven at 180 degrees. In an oiled tray with molten butter, place the semolina mixture. Cut the tray’s mixture into squares and put a slice of almond over each piece.
- Bake the basbousa tray for about 20 minutes then roast the surface until it becomes gold, which will usually takes 2 to 3 minutes.
- Take the tray off the oven and pour the premade syrup. The syrup is made in a pot over high heat then bring the ingredients to a boil, but before it boils make sure to add the lemon juice until ¼ of the quantity becomes dry then leave the syrup to cool down, which would be ready then to be poured over the basbousa after taking it off the oven.
This was the easiest way of cooking basbousa with ingredients for making 6 servings. You can increase the amount of ingredients in case you want to make a large amount of serving.