This delicious dish called in some countries as maghmur or altabsi and the mean ingredient is eggplant or potato and onion. It can include meat as well like in Turkish kitchen. It is very popular in middle east in general and some historian claim its origins to ancient Egypt others believe it is Syrian and third group suspect it is Greek or Turkish and spread in middle east Late nineteenth century. It is known in Egypt, Saudi Arabia and Palestine as maghmur, in Syria they call it Almutbaq. Both Syrian and Lebanese cook it with humus and some people cook it with vegetables and call it maghmur. Also in Iraq they call it altabsi.
Not only it’s ingredients vary from country to country but also the way its presented and the way they eat it. For example in some Arab countries they presented cold while In Greece they add up milk and Cucumber. In Egypt they make it with two different ways. Both method include fried eggplant one way is to make layers of fried eggplant with a layer of beef in between and covered with béchamel sauce usually served with rice, The other way consist of cubes of fried eggplant mixed with tomato sauce and it can be either vegetarian or with meat and the vegetarian served with bread. In turkey the other way they fry the eggplant chops and serve it with the pan when it’s up to room temperature.
- 2 Medium size chopped Eggplant
- 2 Pepper, sliced
- 1 Green chilies, sliced
- 4 Cloves of garlic, mashed
- 4 Tablespoon of tomato paste
- Salt and black pepper
- 1 ½ Cup of oil
- Chop eggplant rounded slices then fry the sliced in the oil till it turn golden
- Fry the sliced pepper and sliced chilies in oil
- Fry the mashed garlic in the pot with tablespoon of oil till it turns golden then add tomato paste with pepper, chilies and eggplant then add salt and black pepper to taste and leave it on heat for 2-3 minutes.
- Put all the ingredients in a try and put in the oven for 20 minutes
- Musqaea served cool with baked bread, tender bread or rice
PS: You can Decorate the dish with mozzarella or béchamel sauce and tomato before putting the try in oven.