Idlis are very delicious and full of nutrition’s, it served traditionally as a breakfast meal but it can be a full meal when served with Sambar and Chutney and can be served at any time. One of the reason Idlis are healthy is because they are cooked on steam and they are very light. Idlis are really great dish that it worth the long preparing time which can reach two days because of the soaking and fermentation process.
- 2 cups of Idli Rava
- 1 cup Urad Daal
- 1/2 cup Cooked Rice
- Salt to taste
- Teaspoon of Fenugreek Seeds
- 1 ¼ cups of Water
- Wash the Urad Daal well and soak it them in water with Fenugreek seeds leave them for 4-6 hrs.
- Wash the Idli Rava and soak it in water for 6 hrs.
Making The Batter:
- Grind Urad Daal till smooth and you can add some water to help give it smooth consistency.
- Pour Urad Daal in a big a pot because next step will be fermentation of the batter.
- Process the cooked Rice in the blender and add a couple of handfuls of Idli Rava and you can add more water then grind till it is smooth.
- Pour the mixture and add it to the Urad Daal batter and mix them well.
- Add Salt to taste.
- Mix again with your hands till everything is blended well.
- Cover the mixture to ferment in a warm place overnight or leave it 12 hours if the weather is not warm
Making Idlis Recipe:
- Make sure that batter is fermented well and doubled its size then add water slowly and mix till the batter drop its consistency
- Grease the idle stand.
- Stack pieces of the batter into the Idli stand and give them space to rise
- Place them in the pressure cooker, and add the appropriate amount of water then close and allow it to cook on steam and set timer for 15mins.
- Make sure there is a vent for the steam to escape.
- After 15 minutes, take out the idlis.
- You can serve with Coconut Chutney.
You can freeze the batter for few days and you can freeze the Idlis itself.