A chicken biryani is a dish with rice and is popular in Pakistan and India, usually is a mix of, herbs, rice and spices as type of meat or vegetables. Serve chicken biryani with some salad of sliced cucumber and tomato wedges topped with some yogurt dressing.
2 Lbs of Chicken with bones, and cut
1 Large potatoes, and chopped, and it is an optional
Two cups of Basmati rice
Eight cups of water
1½ Cups yogurt, or curd
3 Tablespoons vegetable Oil
2 Tablespoons ghee
2 Teaspoons garlic, and minced
2 Teaspoons ginger, and minced
1 Teaspoon black cumin
1 Teaspoon cumin powder
1 Teaspoon coriander powder
1/4 Teaspoon turmeric powder
1/4 Teaspoon saffron, or kesar
A bunch of mint leaves, and chopped
1/4 Cup of cilantro, and chopped
1 Cup of fried onions, and divided
1 Green chili, and chopped
2 Pieces of cinnamon stick
Two of bay leaves
One of black cardamom
3 Pieces of Mace
4 of green cardamoms
4 of cloves
Whole Peppercorns for testing
1 Tablespoon of golden raisins
1 Tablespoon of cashews
1/4 Teaspoon of red chili powder
Make Chicken Biryani:
Method for chicken biryani:
- You need to wash, after that soak the rice for half hour.
- Bring 8 cups of water to boil in a pan.
- In the water add some bay leaves salt, green cardamoms and oil.
- Add the rice in boiling water.
- When water starts boiling, cook for 5 minutes (rice needs to be done 3/4).
- From rice, drain the water, and keep aside.
- Mix saffron and water (one tbsp) in a separate bowl, and keep on aside and allow to soak.
- Put a pan on medium heat, add Ghee and oil.
- When is hot, add in golden raisins and the cashews, fry for a 2 min till the cashews get a golden color.
- From the pan remove..
- In the balance of whole spices add some cloves, bay leaf, cinnamon stick, black or green peppercorns cardamom, mace, and peppercorns.
- Fry them for one min.
- Black cumin you need to add (if black is not available you can use regular cumin).
- Allow them to sizzle.
15 Add some ginger and garlic, fry them for 1 minute. Keep them stirring.
- Add cleaned and washed pieces of chicken and mix them well.
- When the chicken is sealed, add fried onion (1/2 cup), potatoes, yogurt, cilantro (you need to save for garnish some), green chili, mint, and spices –cumin, coriander, red chili ,turmeric, and salt.
- Mix well then cover them and cook 10-15 min (the chicken need to be 3/4 done).
- Oven pre-heat to 250 degrees.
- With a little oil coat an oven-proof dish.
- Start layering the chicken at bottom of the dish with some of potatoes (save the gravy for top).
- The rice fluff up, then add a layer of top of the chicken with half of rice.
- Layer balance of potatoes and the gravy on the top of rice.
- The balance of the rice need to be spread.
- Layer the raisins, cashews, cilantro, fried onions, and saffron.
- Put a little bit of Oil and then need to drizzle.
- Cover them with a foil or an air-tight lid and need to bake for one hour, till the potatoes are cook.
- Take your ladle and mix well.
- Allow it to sit for 5 min and served with some cilantro and mint raita.