We will talk today about a great Indian dish called Masala Dosa. Dosa fermented crepe made from rice batter and black lentils. Masala Dosa, is very easy to prepare and very popular and like any kind of crepe you can stuff it with cooked filling like potatoes and fried onions or with meat.
1/2 cup polished black, or white lentil
1-1/2 cups long grain rice
1 table spoon ghee, or oil
1/2 tsp. black mustard seeds
1 – 2 green chilies, chopped
1 medium onion, chopped
2 large potatoes, boiled
1/2 tsp. chana dal
1 curry whole leaves
Turmeric powder and salt
Tips and Tricks While Making Dosa
- Don’t put too much water with rice when grinding because rice requires less water compared to urad dal
- Batter fermenting process takes 6-8 hours but it depends more on the weather and it can take up to 12 hours in the winter
- Take note that too much heat is not good fermenting process so I would recommend you to grind the rice and dal in batches to prevent the batter from heating up.
- You can give the Dosa golden color by adding Chana dal.
- Grease the pan properly with oil to prevent dosas from sticking to the pan
- Wipe the tawa with a clean wet cloth before spreading the batter for each dosa.
- Make sure that pan is hot enough before spreading the batter. And you can check the heat by sprinkle drops of water on the pan and you know it is ready if the water sizzle and evaporate fast.
- If you are using the refrigerated dosa batter, make sure it is not kept more than 4 days in the refrigerator
Prepare Dosa Batter:
- Soak rice and urad dal in separate bowls for 4-6 hours.
- Process rice and urad dal mixture in food processor till it take the consistency of pancake batter and you can add water gradually to reach that point.
- Cover mixture to ferment 6-8 in the summer and up to 12 hours in winter.
Prepare Masala Dosa Filling:
- Grease the pan and add chana dal and mustard.
- Shake mixture over the heat until the color turn into golden brown.
- Chop green chiles and onions and add curry leaves to the mixture.
- Sprinkle salt for taste.
- Boil the potato and chop it to small chunks and add them to the mixture
- Stir the mixture on heat for 10 minute then let it to cool down
- Now you have your filling ready
Prepare Masala Dosa:
Pour the fermented batter with small quantity into a greased pan after checking the pan heat the I explained in the Tips and Tricks section.
Try forming a circle with the batter
Brush on ghee (or regular butter) to frying dosa and Place filling near the center of the dosa.
Lightly lift the edges of the dosa.
Roll the dosa from the edge to wrap the filling in then remove it from the pan and wipe the pan then start pouring the next dosa
Serving: Traditionally dosa served with coconut and it suits breakfast and dinner as equal.