One of the more popular recipes in Egypt, and the people like to eat it in the winter, which called Halabsa, while the rest of the Middle East they called it Hummus Al Sham.
Hummus Al Sham or Halabsa makes for a great snack, you could enjoy this recipe with your family, or you could also entertain your guests by this recipe.
- 250 g. Dried hummus.
- Three tomatoes, or two spoons of Tomato Sauce.
- Lemon, Salt, one tablespoon of Cumin, and a hot sauce.
- 5 Garlic cloves, or you can use garlic powder it is better for this recipe.
- One onion
- Baking soda
-Wash hummus well to get rid of impurities, and then soak in water with ½ spoon of baking soda for 10 hours. You may not use baking soda, but the hummus will take more time to get cooked specially that baking soda helps hummus to get cooked fast.
-Filter the hummus well after 10 hours from soaking, and then wash with cold water again.
-Put hummus with 5 cups of water, and ½ spoon of baking soda (optional) in a pot over the cooker.
-Add the two spoons of Tomato sauce to the hummus, or mash the tomatoes well before adding to hummus.
– Cut the onion into four parts, but let them connect from down, because later we are going to omit the onion from cooked hummus.
– Add the garlic powder, if you have garlic cloves you should mash them well, before adding them to the hummus.
-Leave the hummus over a high heat until boiling, then low the heat, and cover it for an hour.
-You should check the hummus after 45 minutes by taking out one grain from the pot, and try to mash it with fingers. If it was mashed easily then take the pot away from the heat.
- After you have cooked the grain of hummus “garbanzo beans” served in the glass cups with hummus’s water, and add some lemon juice, salt, and hot sauce, according to your choice. As much as needed.
– You should serve it hot, also you do not need a bread you can use your spoon.
– You can add some lemon slices to garnish the glass cups.
- -Some people like to serve with Hummus Al Sham, or Halabsa, extra plate which has Lemon, Salt, Cumin, and a hot sauce.