Okra ” Bamia” with tomato sauce recipe is an original Arab dish that most women prepare but each of them has her own recipe. We all love eating okra although its taste differs from one cook to another. The Arab called it Bamia.
- The First Recipe: Okra with Tomato Sauce Recipe:
- Kilo of okra
- Kilo of tomato
- 1 tablespoon of packed tomato sauce
- A middle-sized onion (shredded)
- 1 tablespoon of minced garlic
- 1 small bell pepper and 1 chili pepper
- Salt, black pepper and 1 teaspoon of dried cilantro
- 1 tablespoon of sugar
- 1 chicken stock cube
- 2 tablespoon ghee or butter
- 1 tablespoon oil
- Kilo of meat, or one chicken
- Put the ghee or butter and the oil in a pot, sauté the shredded onion for seconds and add the meat till it’s browned for around 10-15 minutes.
- Add two cups of water, a pinch of black pepper, and a pinch of ground cardamom or three cardamom cloves after opening them. Cover the pot and let them cooked well.
- Wash tomato very well and put them in the mixture. Use the strainer to drain it. Test your meat with a fork and if you find that it starts to be cooked, add the tomato juice and the stock cube and let them cooked very well.
- Cover your pot and turn down the heat till they cooked. After being cooked, add two cups of boiling water, okra, bell pepper (cut into small pieces), half of the chili pepper just for a great smell, minced garlic, sugar, cilantro, black pepper, salt (to taste) and let them cooked well. If you felt that the tomato juice became heavy, add a cup of water.
- The Second Recipe: Okra with Tomato Juice Recipe
- Boil the meat or chicken with an onion, cardamom, small tomato, salt and black pepper to produce a tasty stock. In another pot, sauté the shredded onion in the ghee for two minutes. Add half teaspoon of minced garlic and sauté it for one minute, then add the tomato juice with the sugar teaspoon and let it be cooked.
- After being cooked, cut a bell pepper and half of a chili pepper into small pieces and add them with the stock cube to the chunky tomato. Heat the meat/chicken stock you prepared and add enough amount to the tomato till they simmer together, then add the okra and let them for around 15 minutes to ensure that they are well cooked. Before turning the heat off, add the teaspoon of garlic, the dried cilantro, salt and pepper to taste. Let them simmer again and turn your heat off.
- The Third Recipe: Okra with Tomato Juice Recipe
- Bamya Recip
Add the meat to the tomato and after it becomes well-cooked meat, add boiling water and the okra. Put them in the hot oven for around 20 minutes till the okra is well cooked and has a browned surface. Serve it with pickled eggplant and lemon. Also serve okra hot over Lebanese Rice With Vermicelli. There are some people like to add some of lemon juice before eating Bamia recipe.