I will share with you today our family secret recipe from Arab cuisine and North African dish. It is a quick, easy and delicious recipe for baked fish we call it in our region baked fish with tahini sauce. With few touches from my family heritage you will be addicted to this dish. It is better made with any kind of white fish like snapper, tilapia or halibut. I’ve made it before with wild salmon. Also the tahini sauce is a great appetizer in of itself it can be great for any kind of sandwiches, salads or as a topping , so save any leftovers of this sauce.
Ingredients of The Fish
- 1 Sliced onion
- 4 Medium fish filets (any kind of white fish)
- 1 Teaspoon thyme leaves
- 1 Tablespoon of olive oil
- Salt and black pepper taste
- 2 Tablespoons lemon juice or white wine
Ingredients of The Tahini Sauce
- 1/2 Cup sesame tahini
- 1/2 Cup water (hot)
- 2 Chopped gloves garlic (chop it fine for the best taste)
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 2 Tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 Tablespoon of chopped parsley (you should mix the chopped parsley with garlic to remove the unwanted odor of the garlic and keep the good fragrance at the same time)
- 1 Pinch cayenne
- 1 Teaspoon ground cumin
- Salt and black pepper to taste
Cooking The Fish
- Grease the baking pan with oil and put the chopped onion in then put the fish fillets above it.
- Sprinkle the herbs, olive oil and lemon over the fish layer.
- Preheat oven to medium.
- Put the pan in the oven for 10 minutes, or more (you know it is done when fish flakes easily).
Preparing The Tahini Sauce
- Whisk the tahini with ¼ cup of hot water and check the thickness of the mixture and add water or tahini till it gets creamy consistency.
- Add the minced garlic with olive oil and vinegar, or lemon juice and whisk the mixture.
- Add the parsley, cumin, black pepper, cayenne, and salt to taste.
- You can serve the sauce alone as appetizer, or as topping on the fish.