Indian Badam Recipe
This drink that I am going to teach you today is one of the most famous in India and Pakistan and nowadays it became famous in the west because it is a substitute for milk it is the healthy almond milk also called as badam milk and amygdalate.
- Badam it is basically milk of nuts so it is very rich with protein and minerals and it is great for kids in the morning.
- Doctors says almond milk is one of the best sources for fiber, vitamins, minerals, and proteins and it is very safe to give to children as an alternative to cow’s milk if they hate cow’s milk.
- The skins of the almonds are rich with nutrients so I suggest leaving them on.
- You can remove the skin by soaking the almonds in hot water for 5 minutes then remove the skin using your thumbs.
Badam Milk Ingredients
- 1 cup almonds or 125g
- 3 cups of ready almond milk (optional)
- Sugar to taste
- 1 cup pistachios (optional)
- 1 teaspoon cardamom powder
- 2 teaspoons rose water
- 2 tablespoons kewra essence –to flavor the drink-(avoid if you are making the milk very young child)
- Saffron strands for garnishing
- Put the almonds, pistachios half cup almond milk into grinder and process them together till they make a baste.
- Mix all the liquid together with the sugar and cardamom powder, kewra, saffron, and the rest of almond milk
- Add the liquid including rose water to the food processor and process
- Now the almond milk is ready to serve
Serving Almond Milk Recipe
- Almond milk can be suitable for children older than 1 year just be sure to skip the added sugar and garnishing. You can serve the badam cold in the summer or hot in the cold weather (I leave the temperature to your judgment according to your child’s age).
- As a substitute for cow’s milk you can serve it before bed and it will and give your child a good sleep (heat it in a saucepan like you does with cow’s milk)
- Garnishing you can garnish the finished drink with saffron and pistachios or any garnish you like.
- The traditional flavor that goes with almond milk is cardamom and kewra essence and nuts is the best garnish to it more refreshing and more nourishing.
Storing Almond Milk
You can store almond milk in refrigerator in a paste form or in a liquid form basically make it more concentrated to make a paste form (many Indian food grocers make it paste and sell it in stores ).