Squash soup is one of the most popular in African continent. It is very healthy and lovable at the same time. Many countries added their flavor to the squash in the preparation step. Some countries in Northern Africa make the squash by chopping the pumpkin roast it before making the soup. Some other countries put chunks of squash in the preparation and others purée the squash and store it refrigerator. We will learn hear some of the methods to make the squash in 20 minutes.
- 4 cups of chopped pumpkin purée
- 3 Table spoon of heavy whipping cream
- 2 minced cloves garlic
- Pinch of salt to taste
- 1 1/2 teaspoons of curry powder
- ½ teaspoon of cinnamon
- 3/4 teaspoon of cumin
- 2 teaspoons of minced fresh ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup of roughly chopped onion
- 1 Table spoon of butter
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 cup water
- 4 cups of chicken stock (or vegetable broth)
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 teaspoon of Pumpkin seeds
Preparing Pumpkin Purée
- Cut the sugar pumpkin in half and clean it from the seeds
- Lay face down on a baking pan and bake it at 350°F for 40-50 minutes.
- Take it out of oven and let it cool down
- Scoop out the rest of pumpkin and process it heavily in food processor till it become purée.
Sauté The Onion and Spices
- Chop the onion roughly and cook it in saucepan with butter
- Add garlic and ginger and add more butter and stir the mix on medium heat till the onion softened.
- When the onion completely sauté add the cinnamon, curry powder, cumin and salt.
- After 4 minute add the chicken stock and the rest of spices with the bay leaves then add the pumpkin purée and stir the mix well.
- Depending on the thickness of the soup add more water or stock to get the consistency you want.
- Cover the pan and keep the mixture on medium heat for 10 to 15 minutes.
Finishing and Garnish
- Let the soup cool down then remove the bay leaves and hit the mixture in the blender.
- Now the pumpkin soup is almost ready but you still can add something special to it by putting some cream on the top and stir it right before serving
- We can garnish the soup with thinned plain yogurt and pumpkin seeds on the top