Egyptian Zalabya Dessert Recipe
Lokma, Zalabya, or A’wama is a Syrian dessert that can be homemade easily through the following recipe.
Cooking time: 20 minutes
Arab A’wama Dessert Recipe
2 cups flour
¼ tsp. salt
1 tbsp. starch
1 tsp. instant yeast
1 tsp. sugar
1 tsp. liquid vanilla
1 ¼ cup water
2 cups sugar
1 cup water
1 tsp. fresh lemon juice
½ tsp. liquid vanilla
Corn Oil for frying
How to Make Arab Lokma Al Kadhi Dessert Recipe
- In a mixing pot, put flour, salt, starch, yeast, sugar, vanilla and water. Turn on at low speed until you get liquid dough. Put the dough in a deep pot. Cover it with a piece of nylon and keep it in a warm place for about 2 hours.
- After 1 hour passes, stir it with a plastic wide spoon slightly for several seconds only. Cover the dough again and leave it in a warm place.
- In a deep frying pan, put some oil with height of 2 inch. Heat the oil over medium heat.
- In a deep pot, pour the syrup. Keep it beside you while frying the dough. In a small plate put some oil to cover the spoon while forming the Lokma. Bring two spoons with large holes. Bring a small tablespoon.
- You can form the Lokma using several methods. Put the small tablespoon in oil then in the Lokma dough to be filled. Put the spoon over hot oil in frying pan and drop it with your finger and it will fall down in the form of balls with unit sizes. Repeat the previous method to fill the frying pan.
- Using the spoon with holes, press over the balls in the oil slightly during stiring to have golden balls from all sides. Take the Lokma out of oil and out it to syrup directly.
- Using the other spoon with holes, stir the Lokma in syrup slightly to absorb it. Take the Lokma out of syrup directly to the serving plate. Serve cold.
- The second method: Hold the small spoon with your left hand and put it in the oil in the small plate. Put your right hand in the dough and hold it slightly to form a small ball between your first two fingers. Take the ball with the small spoon and drop it in hot oil to have a consistent ball. Completely fill the pan with balls and stir with voided spoon while pressing it slightly to become golden from all sides. Put the Lokma in syrup then to serving plate.
- Syrup: In a thick-based medium pot, put the sugar, water and lemon juice. Put the pot over medium heat and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and let the syrup be cooked over heat for about 8 minutes. Add vanilla. Let the syrup cool down before being used.