Eggplants Stuffed with Masala Recipe
This Indian food is easy to cook, quick, and very tasty- what else do we need !
Bharwa Baingan dish is popular in India, it is spicy and dry brinjal recipe and have mustard oil. You can serves this dish with gravies, parathas and curd for dinner or lunch menus. You need for this dish a baby eggplants. Enjoy your meal.
Ingredients for Bharwa Baingan :
- 2 Medium size onions, and chopped
- 6 small eggplants
- 2 tsp coriander powder
- ½ tsp red chili powder
- ½ tsp turmeric powder
- 4 tbsp oil
- 1 tsp fennel seed powder, and it is an optional
- 1 tsp mango powder
- salt to taste
Method to Cook Eggplants Stuffed with Masala:
You will start to get off the top stems of the eggplants.
- You will need to wash the eggplants.
- You will start to get off the top stems of the eggplants. And split 6 eggplants into 4 parts, keep them together at some stalk.
- In each eggplant you need to make a lengthwise; then you need to slit halfway throat eggplants from top to go on bottom. Be careful you do not need to cut all the way to the end. Make sure you do not separate 2 halves. You need to keep them on the side.
- Add 3 tablespoon oil in wide nonstick frying pan, or on a heavy-bottomed pan, stainless steel pan, and put on medium high heat. . Then add chopped onions and you need to fry them for 5-6 min till they get light brown color.
- Now add to the onion the Coriander, turmeric powder, red chili powder, fennel seed powder and salt you need to add now, and after that mix everything and you need to fry then for couple of seconds. Now turn the stove off.
- The onion masala need to cool down. After that you need to pry open them with your finger.
- The slit of eggplant, you need to take 1½ teaspoon full of masala, and in eggplant you need to stuff and then through eggplant you need spread evenly, after that push the slit closed so onion masala can be settle down inside.
- When the eggplant are good stuffed, you need to place them in same pan, after that add half cup of water, and then you need to cover the pan, and on low heat for 20 -25 min you need to cook them well.
- Keep turning the eggplant around while you cook them evenly. You need to use a big spoon for cooking while turning them around.
- When the eggplant will be tender you need to sprinkle the rest of mango powder, and oil. Then gently you need to turn them around and 2 min you need to let fry for both side. Don’t forget to turn them around every 2 – 3 min for 8-10 min till the onion masala start getting brown color, and the eggplant skin start become crispy. Then turn off the stove.
Tips for Cooking Eggplants Stuffed with Masala:
- When eggplants are good stuffed you need to put for ten minutes on microwave till they are tender. After making them tender you need to transfer eggplant in same frying pan when onion masala was fried before. Now you need to sprinkle the rest of mango powder and oil. Make sure you turn them around so gently and to fry them. You have benefit from cooking in microwave, because like that onion masala can stay in eggplants. If you cook them on the pan onion masala “the stuffing” will keep coming out.
- The fennel seeds – saunf need to be grind and you need to make some powder.
- Thin long eggplant can be substituted if small eggplant is not available. You need to wash them, to take off tip, after that on half you need to cut them, and to make lengthwise split from top to bottom on hallway in eggplants. Make sure you do not separate this halves.