Today’s recipe will be about my favorite pumpkin pie. What else represent holydays more than that sweet? Historians believe that pumpkin became the favorite dish in holydays because in the past it was a symbol of harvest time, so over the time people around the world were eating pumpkin at the change of seasons.
Pumpkin is very popular in the East in a verity of recipes for example in the Arab countries they call it halawa yaqtin and it is made similar to how American cook pumpkin pie nowadays, and in Egypt they like to add the nuts in the pie. In South Asian countries such as India they cook pumpkin with butter, sugar, and spices and they call that dish kadu ka halwa.
Generally Pumpkin pie meant to be a dessert pie but some countries cook it with spices and some other fill the pie with custard filling. In the United States and Canada, it is usually prepared for Thanksgiving and other occasions.
- 500 g of pumpkin puree
- 1 ¼ cups of evaporated milk
- 3 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 tbsp flour
- Pinch of salt
- 200 g of brown sugar
- 1 tsp of ginger
- ½ tsp of nutmeg
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- One piece of pie crust (from any store or homemade)
To Prepare The Filling:
- Put the brown sugar, flour, salt, nutmeg, cinnamon and ginger in a large mixing bowl and whisk them together until well combined.
- Whisk the eggs with pumpkin puree In a separate mixing bowl
- Add the evaporated milk and whisk the mixture
- Pour the egg mixture into the sugar and spices and stir them together until fully combined.
Prepare The Pie Crust:
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Prepare the pie crust by rolling the dough out to a suitable size to make sure it will be bigger size than the pie plate and will cover the edges.
- Put the dough in the pie plate, it should cover the sides
- Trim any excess dough and make sure it cover the bottom then cover it with foil and weight it with beans or rice to make sure it the dough take consistent shape
- Bake the pie crust in the oven for 12-15 minutes.
- After 15 minutes you can remove the beans and the foil and bake the crust for more 5 minutes before you remove it and cool it down.
To Make The Pumpkin Pie:
- Pour the pumpkin pie filling into pie crust. And put the pie plate in the oven at 400°F for 50 minutes.
- Remove the pie from the oven and let it cool completely.
- Cover tightly and put it in the fridge for several hours.
My Baking Tips:
- It’s best to partially bake the crust right before adding the filling. And make sure fit pie dough around the sides and cover it with weight to keep it to the sides and the bottom of the plate.
- To prevent the edges the pie crust from over-browning I use a pie crust shield to. And sometime I just use foil to cover the edges.
- One last tip, make sure not to over bake the pumpkin pie or it may cracks after cooling down