How to make pickled onions
Half a kilo of small white onions, washed and unpeeled
5 Cups of water
2 Red bell peppers
2 Hot red peppers
3 Tablespoons of salt
Black pepper to taste
A quarter cup of white vinegar
A quarter of a spoonful of turmeric
3 Bay leaves
A quarter teaspoon of cloves
A quarter cup of olive oil or vegetable oil
A quarter cup of lemon juice
- Place the saucepan over medium heat, add 4 cups of water and 2 tablespoons of salt, then bring the water to a boil.
- Add the white onion without peel to the boiling water and leave it for two minutes on the stove, then remove the pot and leave the onion in the boiling water and cover the pot.
- Mix the red turkey pepper and hot red pepper with an electric mixer, put the mixture in a bowl and leave it aside.
- Peel the onions and wash them again with water, then put them in a deep bowl and add the red pepper mixture to the peeled onions, olive oil, a tablespoon of salt, lemon juice and vinegar.
- Bring a clean, airtight jar and put the onions in the jar with a mixture of vinegar, lemon juice and oil, and add the rest of the spices to the onions such as black pepper, bay leaves, cloves, turmeric and a cup of hot water. The jar is closed for 3 days.
- Serve pickled onions next to food or when needed.